The pilgrimage site in the 19th century
The French Revolution of 1789 was to prove the fatal blow for the priory. The monks refused to swear the oath to the civil Constitution of the clergy and had to leave the site in 1790 and go their separate ways. The priory was suppressed and put up for sale as a national property in 1791. In 1792 the town of Soultz bought the buildings and the church with the effect that even during the Period of Terror people could still avail themselves of pilgrimage in a clandestine manner through the offices of the priests of Soultz. With the 1801 Concordat, Bonaparte re-established the religious peace and the pilgrimage site was to be administered officially by the secular priests of Soultz, apart from one brief interruption. In effect, in March 1848 a priest from Issenheim, Jean Chablé, had rented the priory in order to open a Jesuit noviciate there until 1852. When in 1881 Jungholtz was to become a borough, the church of Thierenbach would be its parish church. Fr Schoech, the first parish priest, was installed in the priory which then would serve as a presbytery, school, town hall and forest mission until the fire of 1884. The borough then built a new presbytery by the church, which itself was restored by Fr Schloesser between 1892 and 1912.
fermer la fenętre